Summertime may mean barbecue and it may mean the beach, but it also means outdoor activities that we haven't engaged in for much of the year such as hiking, biking, volleyball, and tennis. If we w ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Request an Appointment
We will do our best to accommodate your busy schedule. Schedule an appointment today!Schedule Now
We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.Read More
New Patient FormClick Here
Welcome to Active Chiropractic Care
Chiropractor In Commack, NY
Welcome to our office! We are proud to be serving the Commack, NY area and surrounding communities.
Are you someone who is in pain or looking to enhance your overall performance? If so, this is the right place for you!
Our mission is to enhance the lives of people who are active or looking to become active. We achieve this by accessing your body’s optimal potential utilizing a series of Chiropractic adjustments, exercise prescriptions, and nutritional modifications.
The name Active Chiropractic Care was chosen because it embraces our ideals. The term “active” also implies the type of treatment which is performed in conjunction to your chiropractic care. This approach is what distinguishes us from other chiropractic offices in the Commack, NY area.
We pride ourselves on our commitment to our patient’s overall health and wellbeing. Whether you are a weekend warrior or an elite athlete, you will experience the same level of one on one treatment here at our office.
All of your treatments and exercises are performed under the doctor’s direct supervision. This will make sure you are doing them properly and ensure yourself a smooth transition into your new active lifestyle.
Dr. David Ackerman's system of analysis and treatment fully encompasses his extensive background in exercise and health. It is this systematic approach that allows him to connect with his clients and deliver optimal results.
He focuses on the following five essential health components:
1. Internal Health - The environment on the inside of your body must consist of proper spinal alignment, nervous system function, proper biomechanics, and muscular balance. Without these functions all working together in synergy, you will be less efficient and more likely to experience discomfort or injury.
2. Exercise - We all know that exercise is vital to our health. What we don't know is how to choose the correct exercises for our body or how to execute them properly. Dr. Ackerman will help you choose the exercises which are right for your body type, goals, and any physical limitations you may have. Exercise can improve your posture, improve your mood, and decrease your risk for injury or disease.
3. Mental Health - We all have heard the saying "your mind controls your body". There happens to be a lot of truth to it. The mind plays a crucial part in your health and can even play an instrumental role in how you feel physically. Identifying any mental components contributing to your condition plays an instrumental part in your healing process. Also, adopting a healthier mental health routine can improve your outlook on life and change how you feel both mentally and physically in the long term.
4. Nutrition - You may be doing everything else right, but if you are not eating healthy then you may be wasting your time. The foods we eat are either fueling the body or depleting it of vital nutrients. There are certain foods that are nutrient dense (alkaline) which help to promote energy production and healing. There are acidic foods that rob our bodies of vitamins and minerals causing unhealthy disease processes in the body, including inflammation, swelling, and improper autoimmune responses.
pH levels - Think of your body as an aquarium, made up of the tank (body), a circulating water pump (heart), a filter to remove toxins (liver), and an air pump to oxygenate the water (lungs). The fish represent the living cells of our bodies and the water represents the 70% of our body that is, in reality, water.
Now ask yourself, what is the pH of my body’s water? We all know what would happen to the fish if the water in the tank became too acidic. Even if all the pumps and filters (organs) are working properly, if your body’s pH levels are out of range, it will lead to increased cellular stress and eventually damage—or even death.
5. Rest and Recovery - Many people are either overstressed or overtraining. Both release unhealthy amounts of the stress hormone cortisol, which breaks down the connective tissues in the body and stores additional fat. Adequate rest and recovery are equally important in the healing process. The prescription of yoga and meditation is also very helpful in reducing the detrimental effects of cortisol on one’s health. So many of us are conditioned to hitting the gas all the time that we forgot how to use the brakes on our own body. Being in tune with yourself and knowing how to reduce stress is crucial for your health and healing.
With these five crucial components in mind, Dr. Ackerman has developed a Chiropractic practice to help address ALL the causes of injuries and disease and does his absolute best to connect with his patients and individualize their treatments accordingly.
Some of the most common conditions that Dr. David Ackerman has had success treating are:
If you are an active person or are looking to become active, then seeing
Dr. Ackerman at Active Chiropractic Care is the right choice for you!